Sunday, January 8, 2012

Fashion Photographer: Tracy Johnson

On the Rise fashion stylist and photographer Tracy Johnson took time out her busy schedule to speak with me about her "on the rise" career!!


TRACY JOHNSON
Photographer/Fashion Stylist

BIO



 She’s definably young at heart, fun and stylish with her vintage-mod wardrobe selections and her picturesque creativity.  Her artistry is a unique blend of the camera’s eye and the mind’s envision coupled with beautiful people who are the subjects of appeal.
Tracy fell in love with taking pictures and documenting life, but it wasn't until late December 2010 that she really got the motivation from her brother and sister to start her own photography business which she now calls, THE ART OF FRESH, INC. Now she’s hooked and on a steady rise to becoming one of the most wanted photographers in Atlanta.
A mother of two and a role model to many, she has never met a challenge that she could not beat or a dare that she did not meet. Tracy believes she has finally found her calling in Photography it fits her so perfectly. Time on the set with Tracy is so much more than just a ordinary photoshoot!  It’s a beauty session where Tracy is allowed to use all of her gifts at once, coupled with the talent, confidence & beauty of her subjects to form captivating photography.    
So when you hear that someone small is making BIG moves...have no doubt that that person is Tracy Johnson..."Yeah, you heard right"! 










 Me: When did you know that had a passion for photography?

Tracy: About a year ago, Me and my hair/makeup artist bff, MeMe,
partnered to style a shoot with two models here in Atlanta in an
effort to build our portfolios; mine as a fashion stylist and hers as
a Hair/Makeup Artist. We had a photographer on deck and were set to
go. It was 13mins before call time when we realized the photographer,
who had not answered any of my calls the morning of was going to be a
"no show". Rather than cancel, MeMe had a nikon that we used to do the
shoot ourselves and between the two of us, the shoot came out
fiercely. I got me my own camera and flirted around with the whole
concept of photography and I fell in love with it. I felt so in my
element as a creative mind. From there I knew I was meant to be a
photographer.


Me: What inspires you when taking pictures of people, places, or things?


Tracy: Of People, it's inner-beauty and endless possiblities that

inspire me. I love architecture, shapes and colors. I appreciate the
artistry of picture perfect spaces and just enjoy overall capturing
the beauty of all mankind and landscapes.

Me:  Do you prefer to fashion photo shoots or freelance work?

Tracy: I love the fashion shoots particularly because I am also a fashion
stylist. I put together all of the wardrobe pieces in my fashion
shoots but i enjoy freelance work as well.


Me: Where do you see yourself within the next 5-10 years

TRacy: In the next 5 to 10 years, I will have graduated from grad school,
running a non-profit for children in under-priviledged communities and
will have seen success in my business that leads me to becoming an
achieved national Photojournalist.


Me: So far have you had a favorite photoshoot that you are proud of?

Tracy: All of the shoots have been my favorite because they seem to get
better with each shoot but I must say the one that I was most proud of
was the one I did at the Troy Davis Demonstration that took place in
Jackson, GA, the day he was executed. I'm a sociology major at Spelman
College with a concentration in Visual Sociology. Being able to
capture the essence of what the "I Am Troy Davis" campaign meant for
me, my children, my classmates, friends and the entire world, was epic
for me. It gave me a chance to really develop my scholarship and my
research interests.

Me:  What makes you different from these others photographers? What really
 sets you apart?

Tracy: I think what really sets me apart from other photographers, particularly fashion photographers, is that I'm also a fashion stylist. This makes for simple, easy booking when a model is ready to update her portfolio. No placing ads on craigslist for stylists and makeup artists AFTER you book with a photographer. I do it all! My abilities allow me to be a 1-stop convenience for clients offering them high fashion, couture professional photoshoot for a very affordable price and if I sell a photo to a magazine, I gladly give a percentage to the model. Who does that?


Me: Nobody does that and I think that is great!!

 Contact Information:

Tracy Johnson

Twitter: @TheArtofFresh

tjohns72@scmail.spelman.edu

1 comment:

  1. Omg Marie! I never knew until now this was actually published. Thank you soooooo much for the exposure!

    ReplyDelete